Who We Are:
Crisis Text Line is a national non-profit organization that supports people in crisis through free, 24/7 peer-to-peer support over short messaging service (SMS) using our web-based platform. Our primary aim is to move our texters from a “hot moment” to a “cool calm” using a medium that they know and trust: text. We also collect data to detect trends in personal crises occurring nationwide. In collaboration with strategic thinkers, academics and clinicians, our data sharing enables us to inform public health interventions and policy decisions to more effectively address mental health needs in the U.S.
Who You Are:
You care about people and want to help them tune into their inner strength when it matters most. Our most successful and effective volunteers are:
- A dedication to self-care and commitment to one’s own mental health
- Unconditional positive regard for all of our texters, irrespective of issues, race, religion, sexual orientation or other social marker
- A self-reflective nature inspired by a willingness to continuously improve
- A strong sense of empathy and desire to help
- Able to provide and receive support within and outside of Crisis Text Line.
- Able to provide two amazing character references
- Able and willing to commit to helping our users for at least one year
- A clean background check
- A US Social Security number
- Access to a computer
- A secure, reliable internet connection outside of normal business hours
- At least 18 years old
Your volunteer experience begins in our 34 hours blended-learning training program, comprised of online instruction modules, observations of real-time conversations on our web-based platform, model “roleplays” or mock conversations, quizzes and a final examination. As a self-paced program, you tackle the content and associated tasks on your own time over a period of six weeks. As you progress through training, you will have access to various online resources and support systems. Upon successful completion of the 34 hour training program, you graduate from “trainee” status to Crisis Counselor!
- You are responsible for 200 total volunteer hours in consistent weekly shifts. Most counselors do 4 hours per week.
- Support our texters under the guidance of our supervision team.
- The opportunity to join our “spike” or high volume team of volunteers.
- Become a part of community of volunteers via in-person meetups